We begin Scotland’s Year of Architecture, Innovation and Design, 2016, with a Document of the Month from the Stirling Burgh Dean of Guild collection. In January 1910, Stirling’s Provost, David Bayne, offered to make a gift of a clock tower to stand on the corner of Wallace Street and Union Street. This is recorded in the Council minutes. Plans of the clock tower were submitted to the Council and the clock was duly erected on the site later in 1910. When the area was redeveloped and the roundabout created later in the century, the clock was moved to its present position.
The Council Archives holds many interesting and attractive architectural plans for a huge range of buildings in the Stirling Council area and we will be featuring these in posts on this blog throughout 2016 to celebrate local architects and their designs.