Stirling’s Golf Club was founded at King’s Park in 1869. Although women were allowed to use the course, in those days, they were not allowed to use the men’s clubhouse, it was men only. Stirling’s women, undaunted, formed their own club in the late 19th century and their minute book, dating from 1897, is held at the Council Archives.
Initially, the Ladies Club leased their clubhouse but in 1912, it was decided to build a new one at a site in Victoria Place near the men’s clubhouse, as you can see from the plans. These plans were deposited with the Council for approval on 1st April 1912.
The Council Archives also holds the records of Stirling Golf Club from its inception in 1869. The first minute records that ’40 gentlemen favourable to the formation of a Golf Club in Stirling being produced’ decided ‘that a Golf Club be formed…to be called “Stirling Golf Club”…’
Plans of the current clubhouse, now used by both the ladies and gentlemen of the Club, are also held as part of the Stirling Burgh Dean of Guild collection and date from 1974.