In 1911, North British Railway were granted permission to build an Agents House at Killearn Railway Station. The house is a reminder of the old Glasgow to Aberfoyle railway line that used to run through the villages of East Dunbartonshire and West Stirlingshire.
In 1951, the passenger service on the Glasgow to Aberfoyle railway line ceased. The line was designed to harness the tourist traffic destined for the Trossachs. A rise in practical transport and a decline in passenger numbers saw profits fall. Although the line closed to the public in 1951, a goods service did operate until 1966.
The Glasgow to Aberfoyle line was built in stages. In 1848, the Campsie Branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway line was created. This established a junction at Lenzie which ran through the towns of Kirkintilloch, Milton of Campsie and Lennoxtown.
The Campsie Branch line became a popular picnic route and in 1861 the Blane Valley Railway was authorised. The line was constructed from 1866 and opened to passengers the following year. The line would connect Lennoxtown to Campsie Glen, Strathblane, Blanefield and Killearn.
The final sections of the railway were completed in 1882. Known as the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway, this extended the Blane Valley Railway line to connect with the Forth and Clyde Junction Railway. This would then proceed onto Aberfoyle. It also ensured that the villages of Balfron, Buchlyvie and Gartmore were also connected.
The extension of the line in 1882 caused confusion for many users as a new Killearn Station was created. This was closer to the village than the old Killearn Station which formed part of the line. In order to restore clarity, the old Killearn Station was re-named after the popular hill Dumgoyne.
North British Railway took over the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway and Blane Valley Railway in 1891 and applied for an agent’s house to be built next to the station in 1911. The house was to comprise of a bedroom, kitchen, scullery and washroom.
When the railway line closed in 1951, the Agent’s House remained. A transformation, however, has taken place. The popular West Highland Way now runs along the former line with the Strathkelvin Railway Cycle Path replacing the line between Strathblane and Lenzie.