The Dumyat Indicator & the Scouts

In 1935, as part of the Silver Jubilee celebrations for King George V, the Boy Scout Movement created a great chain of 1,775 bonfires and beacons running from one end of Britain to the other. One such beacon was formed in a brazier on top of Dumyat. The local Scouts hauled up wood, oil and tyres over several days to create the brazier. There were also bonfires at Gowan Hill, Cambusbarron and Bridge of Allan.

The King lit the first beacon in Hyde Park on 6 May 1935 at 10pm. This created the signal initiating a chain of beacons and bonfires all over Britain.

It was decided that a lasting reminder of this event was needed and the cairn was built up in a more permanent way with a bronze inscription added. It was to be known as the King George cairn.

Following the death of King George V in 1936, the Indicator was inaugurated as a sign of loyalty and affection for Prince Edward and the Royal Family. Stirling Council Archives holds a pamphlet created for the occasion of the Inauguration of The Dumyat Indicator on Saturday 31 October 1936.

Stirling Council Archives also holds a collection of photographs for the 1st Stirlingshire Troop of Scouts (PD96).

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_plus

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments Protected by WP-SpamShield Spam Filter