Coldoch was a mansion house in Blair Drummond. It is thought that the house was built after 1513 when King James IV granted the lands of Easter Coldoch to his tailor, Robert Spittal. The land was granted on the condition that Spittal build a mansion. A two storey tower house with an east wing was built, including a large turret which provided the original entrance to the house. There were also stables, outhouses and a large garden.
By the 19th century, the house was owned by the Graham family. Perthshire valuation rolls (available to view at Stirling Council Archives) identify Robert Graham of Coldoch as the owner in 1891-92. He is likely a relation of Robert Graham (1786-1845), the Scottish physician and botanist who died at Coldoch.
In 1928 Coldoch was now owned by William McNair Snadden (1896-1959). Snadden was a cattle breeder who later became a Unionist MP for Kinross and West Perthshire. Stirling Council Archives holds the plans for the addition of a new wing to Coldoch in 1928-29.
The new wing of Coldoch included the addition of a nursery, bedrooms, school and playrooms, business room, bathroom, offices etc. The plans provide some insight into the Snadden household. Many of the new rooms are for the use of a child, Veronica, and her governess. Being a mansion house, there are numerous rooms which would be considered a luxury including a wine cellar, gun room and library. The attic floor of the new wing provides for three new servants’ bedrooms.
The architectural practice, Stewart & Paterson of Blythswood Square, Glasgow, designed the extension. George Andrew Paterson and John Stewart “were accomplished designers in late Gothic, Scots Renaissance and Scots vernacular.” (See DSA) They were involved in the design of buildings throughout Scotland, including several in Bridge of Allan where Stewart died in 1954.
Coldoch has since been demolished.