Stirling’s Swimming Pools, 1930 and 1975

This splendid red brick swimming pool at Edward Road, Riverside, was designed by Alexander Nisbet Malcolm, the Architect to Stirling Education Authority and the man who designed the nearby Riverside School. The style of the two buildings is very similar. The pool was built to enable students from the school to have swimming lessons at a convenient location. Scores of Stirling schoolchildren learned to swim in this pool and there was some sadness and nostalgia when the ‘Riverside Baths’ was demolished in 2014 to make way for a new housing project

The swimming pool at Goosecroft Road, initially known as the ‘Provost’s Pool’ was designed by the Stirling Burgh Architect, Alexander Jamieson Smith, the man who designed New Viewforth.

The pool was built in 1975 by Ogilvie Group and proved popular with Stirling residents as a leisure facility. In 1983, water slides were added to the pool after which it was known locally as ‘Rainbow Slides’. The pool closed in 2008. Popular affection for the mural on the wall near the entrance to the building by local artist Charles Anderson, ensured that it was saved on the demolition of the building in 2014. After a tricky operation to slice the concrete mural into sections, it was transported to the headquarters of Ogilvie Group on Glasgow Road in Stirling where it remains accessible to public view.